Keep on filing...

Scott Nelson pianotuner9932 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 24 16:27:09 MDT 2007

Hi Ric,

  This is also an excellent idea. Thanks.

  Scott Nelson

Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

You might try instead doing a very quick lettoff and then establish a
drop line. With all else regulated, establishing a drop line for
hammers insures a dead even height, or dead even distance from strings
at drop... or whatever you want to establish. From that point, fine
regulating lettoff by eye is a snap... and the whole process is much
quicker then using measuring tools and diverse jigs.

Cheers
RicB

My point was that when regulating a straight hammerline from
samples, varying the let-off point (the hammer "stop") will affect
aftertouch, which is why I have started to set escapement at a
consistent height above the keybed, rather than an equal distance
from each string.

Your point on adjusting drop with the Spurlock jig is absolutely
correct,and is a great way to get the simaulteneity of the 2 contact
points consistent.

Thanks,

Scott Nelson