back from K.C. David A / Stopper /P12 authorship

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Wed Jun 27 01:53:16 MDT 2007

My chère brother David,

a little misunderstanding, it was never my intention to offend you or
any of the colleagues with my statement. The statement (that the 19th
root of three temperament is superior to others) is meant for *tuning
theory*, which is in that case is much more close to what gigs like you
and many other high skilled aural tuners do, what can not be said of the
12th root of two temperament theory.

The canceling out phenomene that you use by intention and skill is at
the *maximum* in the P12 temperament. This is just a
mathematical/physical fact of numbers, and this was my important finding
about the P12, and this should be still of interest of any aural tuner.
I do not say that if done slightly different, the tuning is less worth,
it´s just different, but with less symmetry (and as a result less
cancelling out) then. So aural tuners should not feel offended by the
P12 theory, but confirmed.

I am still an aural tuner because i like it too, especially with the
aural onlypure tuning method, the (at least for  me) fascinating idea
setting up a tempered tuning completely with pure tuned three-note
combinations of octaves and fifths, which is a great pleasure to do (but
still more hard work with the ETD though).

kind regards,

Bernhard