Pianotech Live

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jun 27 11:20:57 MDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:31 AM, Mike Spalding wrote:
> So one or two folks planned and produce an event, calling it
> "Pianotech Live", presenting it to the Pianotech community as a
> surprise gift.  Many did not attend, others attended and were
> disappointed.  What could account for such a response?  Maybe the
> listers wanted something other than what they were given, which the
> presenters didn't understand because they never asked.
> For future Pianotech events, I suggest a collaborative planning
> process.  Post and discuss the plans on list, let it become a
> product of Pianotech.  It is rarely possible to please all the
> people all of the time, but if we're willing to plan the event
> openly,  the odds improve  significantly.

Thanks for the insight and wisdom, Mike. This is exactly the problem
and the solution. Despite Kent's absolutely best of intentions, the
key issue here is communication---of which there was none re the
format of the event. In my life, this is again and again the lesson---
communication with respect brings clarity; decisions made without
communication bring speculative fantasy, disappointment, and resentment.
This list is an awesome resource, a pool of knowledge unlike any
other. It should be honored as such, and the regular participants,
the blood and bones of the list, should be honored and thanked for
their time and efforts.
One way to to this would be for PTG to pay for a great lunch, in a
great room; for us to be more intentional about
what we're gonna do and say when we get there, and for it to be,
primarily and overwhelmingly, a fun social event,
with a very loose structure and the minimum "from the podium." How's
that sound?

xoDA