Why NOT to polish bass strings.......

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Jun 28 01:32:40 MDT 2007

I don't know.  I was once told never to use any liquids on bass strings,
but then heard later of success with various solvents.  I once polished
the top sides of the bass strings, leaving them in the piano, and didn't
notice any change in tone.  But maybe with them removed, the rubbing
loosens up the winding just enough to affect the tone ???  There are so
many mysteries in this trade, each one with twenty different explanations.
	--David Nereson, RPT