Why NOT to polish bass strings.......

stuka at mindspring.com stuka at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 28 15:48:50 MDT 2007

At least a large part of the reason bass guitar strings go out so fast is because of the constant direct contact with our fingers, especially after we been eatin' greasy-fried chickin...the oil, dirt, etc., on our grubby little paws corrodes and dirtifies those strings right quick.  I've seen at least one writer reconnend that piano techs *never* touch strings with bare hands for this reason, saying they will corrode on the places touched within the week -- which makes a lot of sense especially where copper, which corrodes when you just look at it, is concerned.

Cheers,

Matt