Blind Pitch Raises

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:10:20 MDT 2007

Can it be done? Sure, if you went on a factory tour in the late 70s
there would be a half dozen chippers pulling just strung backs up to
pitch, and several more factory floor tunings. Working for piecework,
they were very very fast, many of them blind. Not many of us get (or
got) that kind of training (or working conditions).
So in the "real world" I use muting strips and mutes, and almost
always do "two full tunings" (with appropriate overpull in the first
run through) in one appointment. No need to be frenetic, unless that's
your preference.
On the other hand, if you've got a warehouse full of incredibly flat
pianos to pull up, go ahead and practice for the speed drills!
Patrick Draine