Real Lyre for Stwy XO

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Fri Jun 29 19:33:16 MDT 2007

I'm getting ready to retrofit an 1897 Stwy lyre onto a (somewhat
later) Stwy XO. I have to work out all the details in advance because
the piano is at a summer chamber music program which has four-day
breaks every other week. For reference there is a 70s L and a 100-yo
O in the same building, and two Bs in the next building. But I'm
collecting what common sense may already exist on a piece of work
I've never heard  of being done.

It's just a matter of careful layout, right? I'm ordering brand new
levers from the factory.

So, a couple of preliminary questions:

1.) The keybed and keybed stiffener (the plank of solid, straight-
grain softwood, 1-3/4" thick which the lyre is mounted on/under). Is
there any real purpose to the stiffener plank, say allowing the trap
lever contact points to be above the top plate of the lyre? Or more
to the point does whatever purpose may be require material of a
particular strength (say, Marine Plywood).

The XO's keybed is 2-3/8". There is no stiffener (outside of an iron
I-beam bolted to the underside of the bed). If a stiffener plank is
there only to add rigidity, then I can simply find a proper location
for the existing I-beam in the new layout of things. If it's simply
to properly locate the lyre vertically with respect to the floor  and
the pick-up points on the trap levers, then I think that two layers
of 1/2" fir plywood painted black would serve the purpose. (The extra
thick XO keybed is 1" thinner than the combination of keybed and
stiffener.)

2.) The keybed and the U.C. shift lever. The XO keybed is 3/4"
thicker than the standard Stwy keybed, so my plan to avoid a shift
lever short arm 5/8" below the top side of the keybed is to slice the
3/4" off the wooden pivot mount blocks. I can't see that it would
weaken them, each of them being held fast to the underside of the
keybed with a pair of #18 wood screws.

3.) The initial locating of the lyre (ie., where you inlay the female
locking plate). Not knowing any more about it, I'm guessing that the
front-back should be located by the sustain pedal pitman. (I'm having
to drill a fresh hole for it as the original sustain pedal lift for
the Duo-Art was way down at the bass end. I'm guessing the exact
location left-to-right for the pitman is arbitrary.)

I'm also guessing that the lyre's L-R location will be determined by
the U.C. shift lever, and guessing that when the lever short arm fits
into the slot in the keyframe, that the long arm should position the
lyre nearly/exactly in the middle of the keybed. I am prepared to re-
locate the slot if I have to.

4.) the U-bracket on the Sostenuto rail is down at the bass end
(along with the sustain pedal pitman). I'm not assuming that
extracting the existing U-bracket and relocating it to the usual bass-
break is as easy as it seems, and so I'm prepared to spring for a new
L sostenuto rail.

Anyone done this before? Any thoughts from anyone? On the day that
all this gets down, both the XO and the O upstairs will be on their
sides (the latter, for quick reference).

TIA

Mr. Bill