of Piano Keys and.... Milk?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 09:00:03 MDT 2007

So I was poking around a site advising on the cleaning and care of a piano's
finish,
and along with the usual "keep out of direct sunlight" and such, they gave
the advice
of cleaning piano keys with fresh milk. I thought this must be a typo, so I
googled it
and found that indeed, many places are offering this advice.

I've been able to trace this advice as far back as housekeeping advice in
the 1930's.

Does this seriously seem like a good idea?? First of all, I would think that
no matter
how careful you are, some of the milk in going to seep into the wood at the
edge of
the keytop, and multiplied by 88, I can imagine some serious odor issues.

Schubert to the smell of sour milk anyone? No?

And besides that disturbing possibility I am left with the fact that I cant
imagine any
real cleaning properties of milk over soap and water.

Count me baffled.

   [k]