Blind Pitch Raises

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sat Jun 30 10:43:09 MDT 2007

Hi Terry,

I prefer to call this "deaf" tuning. Even the most aggressive over
compensation is about 43%. When an area of a piano is flatter than say 130
cents 3 pass tunings may become preferred.

One "strategy" to save some time may be to quickly draw the last string
tuned in each unison up without striking the key.

My piano histories show that the stability of the tuning is some what less
than doing 2 pitch corrections followed by a tuning--but then with such a
huge change stability is a vanishing commodity.

There is a small savings in time as only one string of each unison is
manipulated for the "ultra" flat area during the "deaf" pass.

At 04:46 AM 6/30/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>   I'm another one who believes that one can utilize this technique, has
>tried  it, and has gotten nothing but a wild piano of higher pitch.   Take
>your semi-tone-flat piano and do a blind one-pass pitch raise. Now go
>through the piano and measure strings with an accutner (or whatever ETD).
>What  is the extreme range of the wildest strings? And how close to target
>pitch is  the "average" string?   Just ballpark answers are what I am
>looking for. Keeping in mind that  ideally, no string is more than two
>cents away from target pitch (or maybe five  cents in extreme cases like
>this) to get a good fine tuning on the next pass, it  is difficult to do a
>significant pitch raise slowly and carefully measuring each  string and
>getting those kind of results - let alone whaling through the piano
>blindly turning pins. And if the blind pitch raise optimistically gets most
> strings within 10 or 20 cents of target - then you need to do a second
>pitch  adjustment anyway.    apply. If I did the first  PR carefully,
>things may still not be within 2 cents of target, but at least  pitches are
>consistent sharp or flat and I can accurately calculate for the next  small
>PR.   I just don't get it I guess. I may just be that I'm
>blind-PR-challenged.  Don't jump on me - I'm sure someone out there does
>this will excellent results.  But I have never seen it done. 'Course, I've
>never seen anyone tune a piano  either.....   Comments?   Terry Farrell
>----- Original Message -----    From:    ITUNEPIANO at aol.com    To:
>pianotech at ptg.org    Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 8:59 PM   Subject: Re:
>Blind Pitch Raises
>              Bob.
>

>         See what's free at AOL.com.
> No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>12:20 PM
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner