Humidity and keys?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 16:22:34 MDT 2007

Did you completely remove all the keys from the grand? Sometimes the
corrosion is from mouse urine. If you can't remove the corrosion by
cleaning/polishing, the key pins will need replacement. Likewise for
the bushings. If it was in a chicken coop, who knows what kind of crap
might be stuck down in the mortise? That will cause lots of sticking
problems.

You must determine the nature of the problem. Start with the worst
keys since you know they are compromised. Remove the stack, then the
keys. Blow out all the trash in the mortise. Ease if necessary. Then
move to the action. You will find the problem eventually.

Wurlitzer spinets are notorious for sluggish keys. If nothing else
works, you can always install a bit of lead in the key. But check
everything else first. Have a similar procedure as for the above
grand. Check for trash in the mortise, ease the bushing, shave/sand
off wood if there are neighboring keys that are binding, etc.

For humidity control, you could try MusicSorb. I haven't tried it yet,
but am going to order some. It's cheap enough, and you'll know if
humidity is a factor.

Good luck.

JF