possible swollen key leads

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jun 30 22:34:00 MDT 2007

Yes the swelling lead thing....it can be a real  problem.  Currently
rebuilding a 6 ft Conover with a  Wessell Nickel  & Gross action. It's overloaded with
lead Four leads in the bass  end & so on.  The leads are swelling & the keyss
splitting.   In this case we are punching out all the leads filling the holes
with  appropriate plugs which solves the dust etc problem. When the action
ratio is  altered and complete will need to re lead but with less of it.    I'm
guessing start to finish the job will consume. about 8 hours. The new  plugs
will strengthen the old keys nicely. Thanks to the Key Maestro,Mike Morvan  for
supplying the right species of wooden plugs
   The damper back action has the same malady &  we're just replacing the
under levers.
 Dale

You are  remembering that lead dust is mobile and carcinogenic, right?

I was  taught to slice off lead with a sharp chisel to minimize dust.

What  about when the lead is oxidized and swollen? Still just as  toxic?

JF