old piano disposal

gp grosserpublic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 16:36:54 MDT 2007

I have a question about a piano I hope you could help with.  The house
I live in came with a piano in the basement when we bought it.  I'd
finally like to get rid of it.  It's a tall upright (Baus is the
brand) in terrible shape.  The wood and pedals have water damage, many
keys don't work, and it sounds terrible.  So I really just need to get
rid of it.

I called the two local piano movers.  One wouldn't take it for
disposal.  The other will move it and take it to the dump, but they
want $250.  If that's what it costs I'll pay it, but it made me
consider other alternatives.

I took a look inside and it doesn't look like it would be that hard to
dissasemble with a combination of a screwdriver, crowbar, sledge
hammer, etc.  If I did so I could carry it upstairs in pieces, and
have it hauled off with some other things.  However, I know the
strings are under heavy tension so I suspect I don't want to go after
those this way.  What I'm wondering is whether 1) you think
disassembling is even a good idea; and 2) if yes, can I just detach
the soundboard/strings from the wood backing and leave it in one piece
safely?

I could probably reuse some of the wood for other projects, so that
would be a benefit to the disassembly method as well.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

thanks!