Pure Sound

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue May 1 10:46:43 MDT 2007

Hi Paul,
Pure Sound Wire is distributed in North America by Piano Forte Supply.

  It comes in all gauges and in coil sizes starting at 1/4 lb.  This
wire is starting to catch on in North America to help smooth out scales
and solve scaling problems.  Its tensile strength is not quite as high
as conventional steel piano wire, so it is not recommended for high
tension scales, but it is perfectly suited for many modern instruments
with moderate or lower tension scales.

Originally, the wire was developed for for pianos from 1830 -1900, but
the applications keep on expanding - from tackling low tension areas in
the scale such as the low bass and at the tenor break, to complete
restringing of Steinways, as Jim Busby at BYU has been doing very
successfully for a number of years.  At the recent PNW conference in
Salt Lake City, we had the chance to compare two S&S grands side by
side - one with Pure Sound, the other standard strung.  The difference
was clearly audible: to me the Pure Sound tone is very clean and open,
the words refined and transparent come to mind.

Here is more info on the wire.  There is also a link to the
manufacturer's website.
http://www.pianofortesupply.com/puresound.html

It is not on the website yet, but I am now also also to offer
"Stringing Kits" for different models of Steinways, with the exact
amount of wire needed for the job, including the complete scaling
information.
I have no doubt we will be hearing a lot more about this wire in the
future.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440