Drill Press

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 1 13:32:17 MDT 2007

I think, as with many tools, the bigger the better. There is always a stability benefit from a larger machine.

That being said, I have been using my $79 Sears Crapsman benchtop drill press for quite a few years now with very good results. One of the first things I did was stop by Wholesale Tool and spend about $100 on a high-quality aftermarket chuck. The high quality chuck minimized runout and the unit drills pinblocks sweet and true one after the other.

The only other thing I would want in a drill press is one that has a three-inch throw rather than my two-inch throw. Mine works just fine for pinblocks, but sometimes there the short throw can be a bit inconvenient when close to plate struts, etc. - but it always works.

Terry Farrell