Damper lift rod grinding

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 05:30:22 MDT 2007

Michelle,

Just before Easter the damper pedal on our church's Steinway M started squeaking/grinding during communion.  After getting some advice from the list, and listening closely, thinking the problem was the spring, I removed the trapwork for that pedal, pulled the hinge pin holding the lever activated by the damper lift rod--it was incredibly tight, and was the source of the noise.  Someone suggested lubing with vaseline.  Haven't used vaseline in years on my tubas, but had some good tuning slide grease, which I applied.  Hinge pin went in much easier; reassembled, and the noise was gone.  Without someone suggesting the hinge pin, I would have not considered that friction as a source of the noise.

Good luck,
Richard Morgan