Glissando facilitation

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Wed May 2 08:25:20 MDT 2007

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better subject heading for this one. I have
a client looking at a high end B I have for sale, which he really loves,
but there are a couple of things that he'd like me to do. One is that he
feels that the key edges are a bit hard on his fingers when he performs
a glissando. This particular keyboard is original 1906 ivory, in
remarkably excellent condition. Other that making sure that everything
was glued down tightly, the only thing that I've done to them is to give
them a light sanding and then polishing with white tripoli. The edges
aren't particularly sharp, and the key sides show very little (if any)
wear. Have any of you ever had such a request? My only thoughts are to
lightly shoe-shine the edges with super fine-grit paper, (and) or to
perhaps rub a little beeswax on the edges of the ivory.

- Mark Dierauf