Bird's Eye Drill bit

Clark Panaccione threesixesinarow at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 08:42:06 MDT 2007

<http://www.Key-Leveling.com>

> It would be a version of a rosette cutter, most
> likely custom made.
> Ron N

I have a specially made one that's about 1" diameter,
with a 1" long 1/2" shank. The cutter's just a 1/4"
lathe tool bit you can grind with the profile you want
and the right relief (but the slot's milled straight
so there's no back angle), and the drill center and
cutter are held in with setscrews. You probably can
make a much simpler one - there's a nice article,
"Souped-Up Spade Bits" in Fine Woodworking 47,
July/August 1984 showing almost as elaborate profiles.

Clark