SV: Stringing jig

terryb t46xd8jb at xplornet.com
Thu May 3 17:17:16 MDT 2007

Michelle etal,

I don't think we should be practicing to pass the test. We should be
practicing for the real world, that is real pianos. If a tech can
successfully splice, replace as string, or make a hitch pin loop on a real
piano, then he or she should be able to do it on the stringing jig. If one
practices only on a stringing jig, he or she may be able to pass the test,
but may not be too successful doing the job on a real piano.

I never saw the stringing jig until I took the exam. Unfortunately the jig
was not clamped to anything which made it difficult to do the work as one
hand was needed just to hold the jig from moving. I passed anyway.

Terry Beckingham RPT