Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Fri May 4 00:45:16 MDT 2007

Dale:

I'm not picturing what you're trying to describe. "The rear foot of the gauge"? Both feet of the gauge sit on the "duplex" segment when you're measuring it, just as both feet of the gauge sit on the speaking length when making that measurement. Are you suggesting that the "front foot" when measuring the backscale is on the bridge and the rear foot is off--on the backscale string? This would an incorrect use of the tool, and fraught with error. After zeroing out the gauge on the bridge top (now that's a measurement that's fraught with error as well; if anyone assumes that the bridge top is all in the same plane, then there's a big mistake being made), the gauge is moved wholly to the front scale in front of the front bridge pin for a measurement and then wholly to the back scale behind the rear bridge pin for measurement, and the two combined yield a "net" bearing. Am I misunderstanding you? As dull-witted as I am, it wouldn't surprise me.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)