tuning two pianos together

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sat May 5 11:43:18 MDT 2007

Hi John,

I feel your pain trying to tune two such dissimlar pianos together. Some
ETD's have an "averaging" feature that will "blend" to tuning charts
together. I find that approach doesn't work too well in the "real world".

Tune both pianos as well as possible--with conservative stretch. Look for
that sweet pathetic sound that 2:1 octaves gives in the treble. Then play
all the notes one by one together. When you find a note that bothers you.

Take a wooden clothes pin and fasten on top of the dampher (while holding
down the key) on one piano. Then play the same note on both pianos at the
same time. Tune the note on the non clothes pinned piano to the other.
Repeat playing both notes together until your ear is happy.

I would charge a double fee for both pianos as this may be a very slow
process.