Bluthner wires

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat May 5 16:23:48 MDT 2007

At 6:03 pm -0400 5/5/07, Clark Sprague wrote:

>Sorry, Jurgen.  Here is the info.  Clark
>[...]
>Regarding the replacement stings on the Aliquot section, the
>scalings relate to the level at which they are tuned.  Therefore, if
>you are tuning in the alto section and the Aliquot is tuned an
>octave higher, then the string gauge of the note an octave higher is
>the string gauge wanted.  When tuning the notes in unison, it is the
>same string.  So, as an example, if the Aliquot string related to
>C52 needs replacing, it will be the gauge the same as the trichord
>on note C64.  Whereas, if the Aliquot on C76 is broken, it will be
>the same gauge as the trichord on C76.
>
>I hope this all helps and with all best wishes
>
>Yours sincerely
>R D Willson

I'm afraid Roger Willson is completely wrong and that the aliquot
strings will not behave as they are designed to if such thick wire is
used, which might also damage the piano.

 From memory I think mwg. 8, 9 and 10 are used but I'd need to confirm
that. I can easily check on Tuesday, since a colleague of mine is in
the process of restringing one of these and will have measured the
diameters.

You can phone me, Allen, if you'd like me to do that.

JD