Wisdom of the Senior Church Janitor?

Arbeau Piano ArbeauPiano at comcast.net
Sun May 6 09:10:21 MDT 2007

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:45 PM
Subject: Wisdom of the Senior Church Janitor?

This week while tuning a church sancturary piano, a young man dragging a large canister vacuum cleaner behind him entered the sancturary and paused noticing what I was doing. Without a word he left the room.

A few minutes later an older janitor walked up behind me, looked over my shoulder very intently watching my tuning process, and then quickly exited to the hall without a word to converse with the younger one.

The conversation to the younger was, "If he were tuning with one of those machines you could have gone ahead and vacuumed, but since he tunes by ear you'll just have to wait until he is done.'

I'm so glad that I had just put away my verituner before I had started my fine tuning and aural checks!  Do you find that you can tune with a vacuum cleaner in the background with one of those "machines"?!

Jerry Arbeau