Wisdom of the Senior Church Janitor?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun May 6 15:34:34 MDT 2007

I've tuned aurally with a vacuum cleaner in an adjoining room and the door open.

To clean a church sanctuary would take a long time, and I'd ask if
they could find something else to do instead of vacuum.

Just for the record, one can do much more than he realizes. With
extreme focus, it is possible to isolate the beat you're listening
for, and get darn close if not exactly where you want. For me, this is
primarily in the bass, and doesn't work as well in the treble. For
this reason, if there's excess noise in the room that can't be
stopped, I'll always work in the bass. When it gets quieter, I'll move
to the treble.

What is worse than a vacuum cleaner is a group of people talking
loudly as you're trying to tune. That always drives me bananas, and
I'd rather have a vacuum cleaner than that. I was tuning at a
university for a special event, and a group of workers came into the
room where I was working to enjoy what apparently was the end of a
lunch break. The piano was at one end of a 120 foot room. The rest of
the room provided equal and adequate standing room for the talkers. Do
you think they went there? Oh, no! I guess they figured I would like
to listen in on their conversations. You'd think as loudly as I was
playing, they would have gone away. But, nooooo....!  I didn't say
anything, and counted it as practice for a worse situation. ;-)

JF