How often do you need a jack-in -the-box?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu May 10 19:41:14 MDT 2007

Julia,
    jack ownership aside---If the piano does not have casters and there is no room for the lyre what happens after you get the lyre on and lower the piano?
    The whole mess wil be sitting on the lyre with one leg in the air until ithe lyre breaks or the keybed distorts or both.
    Sell the guy some casters,get the piano to the correct height and service the lye as you need.
    If you plan on continuing in the trade you will have need to remove legs from grand pianos on a regular basis. Buy the jack or make something up (I have used the bottom of an old swivel piano stool and an auto scissors jack from the bone yard for 20 years)
    Best wishes,
Tom Driscoll
  Subject: How often do you need a jack-in -the-box?

  Greetings,

            I have this job a guy wants to attatch the pedal lyre, but the piano has no casters and isnt high enough to do so. I am just wondering if I should refer the job to another tuner in our chapter, who has the jack, since I wont be able to make the money back for buying the jack on the first job. Is it worth buying? Is there a big call for this type of work, or will the thing just sit? Is there a "home made way" of doing this job?

  Julia Gottshall
  Reading, PA