Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat May 12 18:07:00 MDT 2007

Originally written 5/7/07 - unsent

You know, there seems something of a pathology at large here.  I know
the Lowell gauge is less than perfect, and some readings can be
misleading due to bridge surface anomalies.  But it has been an
invaluable analytical tool for me over the years, and it took years
to get it back on the market, even without the modifications I was
hoping for, including better balance and magnetic feet.  If I
understand John D's post, it is still more accurate than the Wixey,
which, given the price, I will probably try, just for fun.  I just
wonder at our seeming zeal in sabotaging our few remaining suppliers.

Since writing the above, I ordered and received a  Wixey, and it is a
fun toy, but it doesn't, in my view, come close to taking the place
of the Lowell gauge.  Without getting into the details of distance or
angular measurements, the Lowell will measure a single string, and
can graphically represent the curvature of the bridge string segment
(by moving the feet as close together as possible) and, in the
process, indicate the presence of negative front termination-bearing,
for whatever that might be worth.  Because of that curvature, I long
ago stopped using it to measure front bearing in the originally
instructed manner. I haven't seen the new ones yet, so I don't know
if they were modified in any way, but magnets would certainly have
been an improvement.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY