Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon May 14 08:28:58 MDT 2007

John -
I apologize for the mis-attributed endorsement.  I must also confess
that I still have trouble assimilating angular and distance
deflection, but I'm continuing to work on it.  However, I'm still not
sure I'm understanding you regarding the Lowell or, for that matter,
any gauge other than one that measures the actual distance at the
string rest.  I understand, I think, the limitations of Lowell, both
in its resolution and vulnerability to certain misreading, however
Dale's gauge seems to have a comparable vulnerability in its
'blindness' to the bridge surface and the anomalies that can be
introduced.  For example (I don't know how to incorporate
illustrations yet), a bridge surface which angles upward (creating
"negative front bearing"), then has the string return to a point
exactly on a line with the extended straight line of the sounding
length of the string, would show no bearing, yet it would be present,
albeit in a distorted form.  The Lowell would show that information,
however, without the additional information from an Erwin-style tool,
it would be difficult to determine the net-effect.

Would you be satisfies with Lowell gauge with a better vial, wider
distance range, with magnetic feet? What would it's shortcomings be
at that point? besides price?

Regards -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY