Are there many piano techs who are veterans?

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Mon May 14 19:26:40 MDT 2007

I had the opportunity once to sit and meditate, all by myself, in the
anechoic chamber at UCLA. Can't say as I actually remember hearing my heart
beat, or blood rushing around, but I do remember becoming aware of a very
low level sort of white noise that I otherwise had never heard. And yes,
there was also a little high frequency whine, (tinnitus?), mixed in. I sort
of felt like it was just my own internal system background noise.

I also became aware of how utterly dependent we are on the reflections of
sound off of our surroundings. In the anechoic chamber, there are no
reflective surfaces. You can't hold a conversation with someone unless you
are looking directly at each other. If they look away from you their voice
literally disappears and never reflects off of anything to bounce back at
you. It's the closest thing to being deaf that I ever want to experience.

Right next to the anechoic chamber there was also the ultimate echo chamber.
I've used echo chambers in my recording work, but this one was huge and
optimized for maximum reflection. Couldn't hold a conversation in there
either. After the second or third word everything just turned into this
wash. It was pretty funny actually.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles