Mason & Hamlin Screwstringer

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue May 15 09:13:39 MDT 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 4:57 AM, J Patrick Draine wrote:

> "Just tune it."

Yeah. Uhhh.....that doesn't work with these beasts. They will
tune,and hold, magnificently, if you get the protocol down---it's a
challenge. You have to move the pin---then wait, and keep playing the
note, and wait, and THEN the pitch will change---the challenge is the
wait; we're so used to getting instant change when we move the pin
that it's way counter-intuitive to wait, but that's what's required
here; I tuned 2 of these beasts for over 15 years---they hold better
than any upright piano ever---amazing stability, but I never spent
less than 2.5 hours on a tuning---and charged double.

David Andersen