Mason & Hamlin Screwstringer

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Tue May 15 18:19:01 MDT 2007

  _____

Subject: Re: Mason & Hamlin Screwstringer

On May 15, 2007, at 4:57 AM, J Patrick Draine wrote:

"Just tune it."

Yeah. Uhhh.....that doesn't work with these beasts. They will tune,and hold,
magnificently, if you get the protocol down---it's a challenge. You have to
move the pin---then wait, and keep playing the note, and wait, and THEN the
pitch will change---the challenge is the wait; we're so used to getting
instant change when we move the pin that it's way counter-intuitive to wait,
but that's what's required here; I tuned 2 of these beasts for over 15
years---they hold better than any upright piano ever---amazing stability,
but I never spent less than 2.5 hours on a tuning---and charged double.

David Andersen

There is a screw stringer on my list that tunes very well.that is after the
grooves that the string hook rides in are cleaned and lubed. Prior to that,
iy was a beast.  Mix up a batch of rust buster, which is equal parts of
automatic transmission fluid and acetone.  Put a SMALL drop on the back of
each hook.  By the time you finish, the first ones will be ready to tune.
This piano has needed this treatment only once in 12+ years.  BTW too much
can lift the finish on the plate.  Soak up the extra with Q tips or a clean,
soft cotton cloth.

Paul C