Adjusting touch weight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 17 22:42:51 MDT 2007

While being a thorough diagnostician is always a good idea, expeditiousness
is too.  A new C7 that feels too light and needs to be made to feel heavier
at the players request might, I suppose, with a 6 hours setup job be made to
feel heavier.  That's assuming you were able to diagnose that the 6 hour set
up job would accomplish what the player has fairly clearly stated is the
problem which was that the action needed to be made to feel heavier
(admittedly, I'm not sure what I would do during those six hours in this
case).  Or, you could spend an hour adding miniclips or "knocking out a
lead" in order to determine whether the Church (read low budget) player
liked the change.  Taking a lead out or adding a clip is easily reversible
in a short amount of time.

Lower inertia with the removal of a lead will not, btw (response to previous
post), make the action feel lighter, though it may feel more responsive
(difference there).  Sometimes the simple approach is better and sometimes
players do communicate what they want, and, of course, sometimes they don't.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com