Adjusting touch weight

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Fri May 18 13:39:12 MDT 2007

How much aftertouch does it have exactly?
How is the friction in the flanges exactly?

If the friction is good, even, correct.
If the hammer line is even, blow correct, dip
accurate,
damper lift correct, drop accurate, etc. etc.
there are a couple options.

BUT: make sure all regulation elements are very good
first!!!.
It is amazing the difference small refinements make in
touch perception.

If there is about 50thou of aftertoucf, reducing it to
about 30 -35 thou can make an action appear
noticeably heavier. This can be accomplished by adding
a tinny bit of blow or shaving a hair off the dip, or
negotiating between these two.

Once I added tubing 1cm long, slit open so I could
wrap them
around shanks easily. They weighed 1gram each and
added
approx 5grams to the touch. (on an old C7) This was
temporary,
and the light hammers are now(3 years later) being
replaced.
Interesting, it worked quite well for touch and tone.
What a
difference a gram has on tone. Do not recommend this
for a new C7.

 The rubber tubing is an experiment I do recommend for
everyone
to observe weight-tone relationship on a well
regulated piano/note.
It is unobtrusive, installed in seconds, and removed
in seconds.

    Cheers

     Dave Renaud