Orange Juice Can bzzzzz

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue May 22 17:22:04 MDT 2007

Hi Terry
  I had this annoyance once.  The turn  buckle or (centripetal resonator) was
loose and made that noise.  Highly  unusual for the stone hendge feature of
pianos to become loose..... but  hey....it happens. Check it out
  Dale

Dearest  Liszt:

New client with 6 mo old M&H model A, today was his 2nd  tuning.

Very clear 3 to 5 second resonance evident at G2-A2 a couple of  notes below
the break. Resonated 3 octaves higher. Imagine an old-fashioned  metal orange
juice can vibrating quickly.

Couldn't voice it out.  Present on all 6 strings. Not in the duplex or front
scale. No loose screws in  the action or cavity. No change in bzzz volume when
I applied hand pressure to  long and bass bridges or the ribs or soundboard
immediately  below.

Appears to be localized at or below the plate where the last  wrapped strings
cross plain wire, down by the long bridge. Irritation is even  more prominent
under the piano.

Another client with an older A has  similar symptoms. He has never been
available to help me chase down the  bzzz.

I'm guessing that this is more design-related than string  related. If this
is a gift of the longitudinal mode, then swapping stock  strings will probably
have no impact.

Anybody else experience this  problem?

Ideas?

thanks