New Planer in Shop

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 08:41:55 MDT 2007

Sorry about the mistyped "Wixey."  I have a different machine.  It's a 20"
planer (the name escapes me) made with heavy cast iron, so very little
vibration.  The bracket will have to be fabricated.

The metal working machinery has DRO's (digital read out) on or available for
many applications.  It's a small step to the woodworking stuff.  Once you
use a machine with DRO, it's very hard to work without it. It's very fast
and VERY accurate.  Imagine milling wood to .0002".  They do not make
precision hand measuring obsolete, just adds to it.
Thanks Terry

Paul C

Subject: Re: New Planer in Shop

Hi Paul - Wixey, not Dixey! No they didn't. They supply a variety of
brackets that are supposed to work with most benchtop planers. I just bought

a small sheet of steel and cut, bent and drilled - brackets took less than
an hour to fabricate with my crude methods. I purposely mounted the gauge
and track several inches out from the machine to provide some flex
(side-to-side, not up and/or down) to accommodate misalignment. Worked
perfect the first time.

If your machine is like mine, I have a bunch of close-up pictures of the
brackets. If they would be of benefit to you, let me know and I will email
them to you or anyone else privately.

What is a DRO? (Digital Read Out?)

Terry Farrell