SV: Odd pin block

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Thu May 24 00:42:58 MDT 2007

There are manufacturers who did/do not drill through the block and others who drill first a small hole all the way through and then drill the right dimension partly through the block. They might look as they are drilled through, but it is only this "fore-drilling". Many such pinblocks have been damaged by tuners who punched loose tuningpins down a little not knowing about the the 2 X drilling.
So I dont think it can be taken as bad skills not drilling through.
Kaj.

Shawn Brock <shawn_brock at comcast.net> skrev:       List,
 I'm not the sharpest on new pin block installation  but today I saw something that seemed odd.  While tuning an old Baldwin  Grand from the thirties I pulled the action and for some reason touched the  bottom of the pin block.  It was not drilled all the way through!  I  don't think I have ever noticed a shallow drilled grand pin block before.   This got me to thinking about reasons why someone would drill this way?  I  came up with 0!  This was a pin block installed by a technician here in the  area.  He is not on this list and to be truthful I don't think much of his  work.  So maybe its just one of those odd jobs that a less skilled  technician would perform?  Or maybe its a common method used on grand pin  blocks and my blind a-s just don't know it?  The grand blocks that I have  dun, or helped do were drilled all the way through!  So you guys tell  me.  What gives?  Thanks!