The Beauty of the Open-Faced Pinblock & Cheap versus Economical

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 24 07:02:55 MDT 2007

I just tuned a 100 year old (this year) Bechstein upright with an
open-face block.  It had half agraffes all the way up the scale from
the bottom.  Pulled it up 150 to 200 cents with regular overpull and
nothing broke.  It was sounding pretty decent on the third touch-up
pass.  Hammers were a little flat, robbing higher partials but what a
clean rich sound.

Goes to show that buying a good piano now means you will have a good
piano for a couple generations.  Customer didn't know what she
had.  Her parents had bought it for her (long ago) for three hundred
pesos when there were three pesos to the dollar.  I could assure her
it was worth much more.

A week before I was called to try to retrieve a no-name upright a few
decades younger.  About 1/4 of the strings snapped.  Action was
floppy and the bottom was broken, not supporting the pedals.  Quality
really is cheaper if you consider the instrument's useful lifetime.

Andrew Anderson