QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD PIANO

Patrick Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 24 18:48:04 MDT 2007

Marshall et. al.: In theory, I agree with John - most of these old uprights
are long overdue for retirement. However, there are older uprights that
still have life in them, and can be brought back to decent playing condition
with regulation, tuning, and some felt replacement. Many people in a rural
area such as mine cannot afford or want to dump their piano and spring for a
new one, and when possible I will give them the option of the work that can
make the piano useable. There are many times that a total rebuild is the
only remedy, and as you say, most people are not interested in a full
restoration - although it does happen occasionally.
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Technicians Guild