Re-threading Lever Shank

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri May 25 07:57:38 MDT 2007

Jon Page wrote:
> Unfortunately my favorite tuning hammer suffered metal fatigue
> at the end of the threading.  This is a old stationary Hale which I
> was given by a customer whose father tuned in this area years
> before I came on the scene.
>
> I've looked in the archive and found that it's 1/8" pipe with 27 tpi.
> I have that tap but don't know how to effect a taper.
>
> Is any machinist setup or this?

Make absolutely sure that 1/8x27 pipe IS the correct thread (not all are
the same), but a competent machine shop should have no problem
determining the right thread, renewing the taper and cutting new
threads. An incompetent one or one who doesn't hear you correctly may
cut a straight thread. DAMHIK

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.