A bit of poesy

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri May 25 14:33:43 MDT 2007

That's a nice poem Annie!

I found this, by D. H. Lawrence, from 1916 (so out of copyright!):

21. Piano

      SOFTLY, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
      Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
      A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
      And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she
sings.

      In spite of myself, the insidious mastery of song          5
      Betrays me back, till the heart of me weeps to belong
      To the old Sunday evenings at home, with winter outside
      And hymns in the cosy parlour, the tinkling piano our guide.

      So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamour
      With the great black piano appassionato. The glamour   10
      Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
      Down in the flood of remembrance, I weep like a child for the past.