Bass string scaling question

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat May 26 04:22:24 MDT 2007

At 12:13 am -0700 26/5/07, David Love wrote:

>What is the maximum differential between the core wire diameter and the
>outer wrap diameter before you need to go to double wraps?

There are two questions here : first, what harmonic distribution are
you aiming for in the string, and second, what is actually possible
from the string-maker's point of view.  I'll answer the second:

Too thick a single cover on a thin core wire will at best cause the
flattening to twist and at worst cause the wire to break on the
machine.  To give a real example off the top of my head (with 20
years of commercial string-making experience as a guide), if you take
a No. 20 (1.125 mm.) core for the top single -- anything thinner
being rather unusual -- then you could continue with single covers on
this core, if you so chose, up to 1.75 mm. in diameter.  At that
point the string-maker (at least this one) would begin to hold up his
hands.  The minimum core required for a 2.00 mm. cover (the thickest
in common use) would be a No. 22 (1.225 mm) and that would be risky.
You will rarely find a 2.00 cover on a core wire less than No. 24.
The reason is that a certain tension is required to achieve a good
tight cover and that tension cannot be applied unless the core wire
will survive it without twisting so much as to turn the flattening
into a spiral and/or snap.

 From this you will see that one has a fair degree of latitude, since
the thinnest core you are likely to specify is capable of taking a
fairly thick cover.  To give a simple answer to your question, I
quickly typed into Excel a column of core diameters followed by a
column of the diameter of copper I would normally regard as a maximum
for the given cores in practice, and the results were rather neat,
showing that a cover 55% thicker than the core is the thickest I
would normally be appy to use, and I think other string-makers would
give you a similar answer.

JD