Odd pin block

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 28 06:23:49 MDT 2007

At 9:35 am -0400 27/5/07, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>...as you are pushing the quill down do you find that it wants to
>lift the drill press off the plank floor?...

Dale, I notice your use of the word 'quill' and wonder if you used it
deliberately in its proper sense to indicate that you use a quill bit
(or 'spoon bit') to drill wrestplanks.  The traditional way of
drilling bridges and planks is indeed to use a quill bit with a bow
stock.  For bridges this is fine, but I've never tried it for
wrestplanks.  Many years ago I bought a set of quill bits from
Renner's, but I think they were designed more for cleaning out
existing drillings than for boring new planks.  The antique quill
bits I collected a while ago would do the job well and I used to use
them quite often for general woodwork.  I always intended to build
myself a proper bow-stock for plank drilling and this thread has
reminded me of this long-forgotten intention.  There's time yet!

JD