Odd pin block

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon May 28 07:28:08 MDT 2007

JD
  No, I was just referring to the chuck & spindle  moving up & down.  Is that
not refferred to as the quill?
  I'm trying to think thru away that I can set up to drill  the block in the
piano but have the same power to push the bit thru as doing it  on the
stationery press. A friend of mine got me to thinking in terms of how to  get things
done in five minutes " ( 5 minutes ..you're done) so I've been  filtering all
my shop procedures thru that idea. Trying to prevent time waste  & frustration.
  As it turns out most things can't be done in 5 minutes  but it makes one
think about factory type efficiency, how to avoid repeat set  ups & dedicating
tools to a specific task. ie. I'm sure Rons drill press set  up is dedicated.
He picks it up,sets it on the drill plank, hooks up the  air, boom he's done.

  Dale

.as you  are pushing the quill down do you find that it wants to
>lift the drill  press off the plank floor?...

Dale, I notice your use of the word  'quill' and wonder if you used it
deliberately in its proper sense to  indicate that you use a quill bit
(or 'spoon bit') to drill  wrestplanks.  The traditional way of
drilling bridges and planks is  indeed to use a quill bit with a bow
stock.  For bridges this is  fine, but I've never tried it for
wrestplanks.  Many years ago I  bought a set of quill bits from
Renner's, but I think they were designed  more for cleaning out
existing drillings than for boring new planks.   The antique quill
bits I collected a while ago would do the job well and I  used to use
them quite often for general woodwork.  I always intended  to build
myself a proper bow-stock for plank drilling and this thread has
reminded me of this long-forgotten intention.  There's time  yet!

JD