Erard under dampers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 28 12:56:21 MDT 2007

At 12:47 pm -0500 28/5/07, David Doremus wrote:

>><http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/shaped_damper_felt/>
>John, that is very useful, thanks. I may write for help as I get into
>it. Do you buy the flat felt as a sheet and cut strips as you need it?

Yes.  That's to say I _did_.  I'm not sure whether I still have the
remainder of the sheet since last time I saw it it was looking pretty
grubby.  I'll have a look, and if I have it and it blows up clean, I
could cut you strips to the proper width.

>The Erard has no backing felt.

Yes, I'd forgotten that.  I like Erards but not enough to go out
looking for them.  But surely there is a red morocco backing, no?  I
have a section of original Erard dampers out at the farm, so I'll
have a look.  Come to think of it perhaps the red morocco is just up
the sides of the damper-head.

>  I was thinking of shaping it in a very similar fashion, do you need
>to use glue to stiffen the back without backing

I don't think so.  Just let 'em droop.  I'll have a look at the originals.

>I have not ordered from F & N in a while but have gotten good things
>from them in the past.

You must be an extremely old, rich man! :-)

JD