was: help with Jaras Jig

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 28 16:49:51 MDT 2007

> Many thanks for the replies.

Hi Gene,
I meant to get back to you on this one and wandered off behind
the little animals and forgot. I did a set of top plates and
long buttons on a D a couple of years ago, and had similar
concerns. I propped the front of the keys up with a stick,
just thick enough so they were barely resting on the balance
rail punchings, so the keys were supported front, center, and
back. I then bent the center rail pin as necessary to center
it on the key in the top of the mortise before putting on the
top plates and repeated the process for the buttons. The
results centered the button mortises nicely. The high res
photos are clearer, but these should be decipherable.

Low tech, but it worked pretty well for me.

Ron N