18'' x 12-3/4'' x 6'' ALUMINUM CASE

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 06:51:26 MST 2007

On 10/31/07, Cy Shuster <cy at shusterpiano.com> wrote:

>  I got a $20 one from Lowe's that I used for years.  It looks good, and
> doesn't transfer dirt from one customer's home to the next.
>
> I had no problem with the hinge or latches, but the clasp for the divider
> separated early on.  Dan Levitan of NY makes his own "tool pallets" from
> perforated aluminum (looks almost like a screen) and elastic straps, so you
> place everything where you want it.  I use a soft-sided one from Pianotek
> now for my regulating tools, and just a messenger bag for my tuning kit with
> invoices and a few hand tools for fallboards and benches.
>
> --Cy--

My decision to not continue with the aluminum cases was not just the lack of
quality but the concern for front doors, furniture, etc.
A hard case raises a liability issue since the case and its
attachments(hinges, d-rings,rivets, corner tabs) are just that, hard and can
therefore scratch doors, furniture, pianos. No matter how careful you try to
be, accidents can and do happen. I was taught by a wise tech who told us to
always put your case on the floor, never on a chair, table, bench, always
the floor. However chair legs, sofa fronts(the wooden kind) piano legs,
china cabinets, etc. are all in close proximity, frequently, of the piano
and can be bumped, scratched, dented by a hard case.
So as I noticed more techs going to tool bags it seemed this was a logical
move to forestall any liability problems. My current tool bag has no outer
snaps, zippers, d-rings, hinges, rivets or metal of any kind on the front or
back to scratch or dent anything. It has a flap that drops over the zipper
front and back the d-rings are on the sides near the top and do not protrude
and are coated with plastic and the snaps are much smaller than the strap.
It has the added advantage of durability and not being very expensive but
that is truly secondary to the peace of mind I feel carrying it into a
home.
It has the added advantage of having extra room so I can add tools for
specific jobs if I am in a situation where it is difficult to run to my
truck, when I work at the University I park 3 or 4 blocks away and prefer to
load up things I may need. Also If I'm in a home and have run out to the
truck a few times, I can put everything into it when I leave and sort it out
at the truck, versus making 2 or 3 trips out.
For those jobs where I am doing, say a major grand rgulation I have a
standard tool box, a big 24" yellow toolbox with all of my regulating
eqipment in it, from punchings to teflon to McLube and Teflon spray and
regulation specs book. I have another for parts only, another for felt
only and finally a hardware box with a screw assortment, I work in areas
where there isn't a hardware store on every corner! I use a Craftsman
toolbag for my backup tools, stringing tools, pin driver, 2# hammer, string
tails, block support jack, vise grips, loop maker, brass flange holder etc.

I don't fault anyone for their choice of what they use for carrying their
tools, when I started out I used a plastic attache case, I paid $4 for
followed by an $18 Wards metal tackle box which served for over a dozen
years before I "graduated" to my first aluminum case. It's all a matter of
what you're comfortable with and serves your individual purposes.
My point here was just to enlighten about my reasons for moving away from
the aluminum cases other than the obvious quality issues.
Mike
--
The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com