Ribless Baldwin Hamilton

Chuck Beck mrchuckbeck at mail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:03:56 MST 2007

I had to share this one, it was interesting.  When I arrived at my second
appointment today at a retirement home I was shown to the piano.  It was
a Hamilton like soooo many others, and I generally like them.  I carved
out the damper pedal lever where it rubbed the plate, and starting
listening.  The bass was rattling the soundboard like crazy, and I
wondered how I had missed the light poking through the gaps.  Nope.  No
caverns or big splits.  It was the ribs piled up in the back.  There were
two left partially attached to the soundboard, the rest were held in by
the backposts and were as free as my advice.

Well, I'll let you guess how this beast sounded.  Really it wasn't as bad
as I would have expected considering.   The splitting and curling treble
bridge didn't help either, in fact it made the treble almost completely
dead.  The funny thing is that the action was pretty ok, the bass bridge
was solid (I had noted this first)  and pin torque was even and tight.
Thumper isn't just a bunny.

chuckbeck

Chuck Beck Piano Services
1605 West Main St., Decatur, Il 62522