Gabler Stringing scale

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at netzero.net
Sat Nov 3 05:08:29 MST 2007

Dear list

I am about to order strings for an E. Gabler & Bros. 5’ grand #177086.
The question I have is with the string sizes. They look very suspect to
me. The following are the wire sizes that I took off of the piano:

8 notes #12 ½ Wire

14 notes #13 Wire

4 notes #14 ½ Wire

6 notes #15 Wire

6 notes #16 ½ Wire

8 notes #17 Wire

6 notes #18 Wire

4 notes #19 Wire

4 notes #20 Wire

My request is for some more experienced eyes to look this information
over and see if it looks as bizarre to you as it does to me, then to
make some suggestions as to how to proceed.

Attached is a more detailed worksheet that I was using to try and figure
out if this could (or should) be smoothed out to a more “normal”
pattern.

For those who would like more information, read on, otherwise, skip the
next section.

The piano was given to me for free a number of years ago and was torn
down to be rebuilt and then sat for a number of years. This to say that
at that time I was not a reader of this list and had not looked into
string scaling. I can’t even remember where I got the figures to create
the attached stringing chart. It may have been from my days of
harpsichord design. As you can see, I once tried to smooth out the
scaling using only my version of tension calculations. I now know that
there is much more involved and will need for someone to rescale this
piano if that is needed.

The problem that I see is the extended use of the same wire sizes and
the pattern of jumping a size and a half at changes. When comparing this
to scale samples in “A Guide to Restringing” by John W. Travis, I find
nothing that looks anywhere close to what was on this piano.

I don’t think that the piano has been restrung, so these may be the
original strings and there may be a good reason for this scaling.

Thank you in advance for your input into this situation.

Rex Roseman

Roseman Piano Tuning