Voicing down hammers

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 05:35:54 MST 2007

On 11/2/07, Alan G. Hoeckelman <AHoeckelman at stchas.edu> wrote:

> Ultimately, a closed cell rubber foam was found that could be carved
> oversized, but to the shape of openings between beams, bellyrail, & rim.
> Same material, but thinner thickness could go on top of t-pins,
> plate-struts like a felt string cover ( refer to PTJ classifieds, Judi
> Edwards carries that type foam )to quiet the piano even further.
> Completely closing the lid knocks off part of another dB. Check this out
> before you get too far @ voicing those hammers.

I did this on a Yamaha w/ a PianoDisc system.  Got the bottom foam and
top foam cover thing from Ms. Edwards.  It worked, but I had to voice
the hammers down also.  The piano was in a room with hard floors and
an open ceiling.  They wanted to be able to have dinner parties in an
adjoining room without the piano being too loud for conversation.
With both foam layers in place, the voicing, and the volume at the
lowest level, it worked.

If I do this again, I will try to find the foam at a cheaper price.
>From Edwards, it was pre-cut, but $110 (my cost) for just the bottom
foam pieces.  I think I could find it cheaper, and cut it myself.
Google "acoustic foam."  It is expensive, but buying it in sheets
probably makes more sense, unless you want to pay for the convenience.
 (Even pre-cut for that model piano, I had to trim one of the pieces
to fit around the player.)

JF