Argh!!!!

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 18:55:12 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Magness <IFixPianos at yahoo.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 4:42 am
Subject: Re: Argh!!!!

I am with you all the way Willem, I firmly believe they used either the Marquis De Sade or direct descendants to design the falls and cabinetry on many of these especially Baldwin and Kimball.

?

I have found one thing that is a big help, back in '95 I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel and as it progressed I "helped" myself by acquiring an inline power screwdriver, rechargable, for removing the numerous screws of Wurlies, Kimballs and others just to get in and tune. I had the surgery in 2004 but the inline screwdriver by then, my 3rd with removable rechargable batteries,?had become a fixture in my toolcase. I find it invaluable for just such a case as you ran into, since you can, one handed, replace screws, at 180rpm,?almost effortlessly, while holding the fall in place with the other. I've found it to be a timesaver, wrist saver and it has added uses, pickup a chuck for it, chuck in your bit and drill out hammer butts/heads?for new shanks in much less time than the hand method, or screw and heat method. My cordless inline screwdriver is the tool that is most accessible in my toolbag, on top of my stripmute and tuning hammer!

Mine is now about 5 or 6 years old and the newer smaller pistol grip models with the NiCad batteries are out with more power but my old Black & Decker inline is all the power I need, more power will strip out wood screws.?Being an inline with a locking spindle I can use it like a regular screwdriver with a large comfortable grip to tighten or loosen stubborn screws it has a center pivot so that it does fold to a pistol like grip if it's too long for a given spot. I have my large cordless drill/drivers in my shop for the heavy work.

Mike
--
The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
Michael Magness

I use a power driver to remove the screws. But that's not the problem. It's the way those darn brackets fit into the cabinet. I also don't have a problem?taking the?action in and out, as long as the stickers are held in place. (I put a damper head on a sticker at each end of the rail).

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of