Acoustic foam

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:09:31 MST 2007

On 11/4/07, Tom Servinsky <tompiano at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> There is a big difference between foam mattress material and acoustical
> baffle foam.  Recording studios having been using this material for years to
> insulate the interior space against outside noise. Can't say I have ever
> seen a recording studio pad the walls with mattress foam. I'm not sure how
> the acoustical/physical characteristics plays into the egg crate shape, but
> it does contain sound extremely well.
> That being said, any material (be it foam, blankets, or anything) is going
> to aid in retarding sound from the bottom of the piano. The question is how
> much containment of sound are you hoping for. We've experimented with just
> about everything and for the extra money, the high grade acoustical baffle
> foam is well worth the extra cost.

I agree with you, Tom.  I was responding to what Israel said about
using a foam mattress cut to size.  That will reduce the sound, but as
I said, the acoustic foam is denser and would do a better job.

What I was talking about was after the acoustic foam was in place on
top and bottom.  I was wondering if a foam mattress might help *in
addition* to what was already there. It did make a difference, but not
significant enough.  Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Having done my little experiment on that job, I will use acoustic foam
in the future if ever I need to reduce the volume.

Someone else before me had put a sheet of fiberglass insulation in
there.  That doesn't work well at all, just in case anyone was
wondering. <g>

JF