Voicing down hammers

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 20:26:53 MST 2007

Hi Guys
  I am going to try Water & alcohol on a brand new set of Renner  blues that
are just to Blasted hard tomorrow.  I'll try straight  alcohol first & then
work my way up.
    My friend, Starr Taylor, in Florida just reported  that he used 50%
alcohol & water on some "Rock hard felt" brand hammers in  some school Yamaha
P-22's with very good success. Mr. Taylor reports having  to apply several
applications to get the solution to penetrate down to the  core.  The results were
tonally satisfying & cheaper than new  hammers. Heaven forbid.
  Dale

Mr.  Bondi,
Ditto to Jon's suggestion.
I treated  a gray market G2 yesterday that was the loudest, clangiest
Yamaha I've  heard in a long time.
I squeezed the shoulders with a small  6" vice grip and even resorted
to lateral needling at 11:00 and 1:00  o'clock to bring these bricks down.
The thing doesn't sound great, but it  is at least playable
Tom --Big Papi  --Driscoll